Best time to visit
February to June (before the heat)
- Wandering around the magnificent fortified capital of Valetta, built by the Knights of St John
- Enjoying the view overlooking Malta from the city of Mdina
- Experiencing a festa, lasting up to five days and including fireworks, the parade of the patron saint, brass bands, food, drink and general celebration
- Scuba diving at the Azure Window, a giant rock arch in the cliff surrounding the Inland Sea on the island of Gozo.
- Swimming at the Blue Lagoon, one of the best bathing spots in the Mediterranean
Timpana – oven baked macaroni with egg, meat and tomatoes, mqaret – deep friend pastries stuffed with chopped, spiced dates.
Kinnie – a soft drink flavoured with bitter oranges and aromatic herbs
Churches, ancient buildings; crazy drivers, British tourists; crusading knights, the Maltese Cross; pedestrianised Valetta.